Monday 2 August 2010

How excited am I about the Scott Pilgrim film?

The answer is, of course, very excited. I have recently finished reading the comics (the sixth and last volume came out a couple of weeks ago) and I loved them. They are funny, touching and, according to Joss Whedon, “the chronicle of our time”.
Although I am normally quite wary about film adaptations of books I have taken to my heart, I have to say, the signs are looking good for this one.
Early reviews after the film’s screening at Comic Con seem positive, and all the clips and trailers online look spot-on to me (Why, yes, I have been watching all that I can find). It seems as though the humour and the comic-book/computer game references have carried over very well. Plus, the more I think about the choice of Edgar Wright as director, the more it makes sense. After all, Scott Pilgrim does have a lot in common with Spaced. Slacker heroes. Geek references. Silly comedy combined with characters you genuinely care about, trying to figure out their lives and relationships.
I only hope Michael Cera does a good job as Scott. He’s known for playing shy and nervous characters, but Scott is hopelessly positive and cheerful. Still, the trailers look promising, and there appears to have been some good casting of the supporting characters (Scott’s friends and the evil exes). I’m sure Jason Schwartzman will be great as Gideon.
So overall, yes, I am super-excited, and I really, really, hope that this film can live up to my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment