Thursday 9 September 2010

My 3D dilemma

This is probably not a great confession to make on a film-related blog but I didn’t see Avatar the first time round. Now it’s back, re-released and even longer, and so the dilemma I had the first time round returned to bug me.

The dilemma was this: if you’re going to pay money to see something at the cinema – and pay the extra cost for 3D at that – you want to be at least fairly confident you’re going to enjoy it. If you’re feeling doubtful, you normally have the option of giving it a miss, safe in the knowledge that you can always watch it on DVD later. However, in the case of Avatar, that’s not such a good option. The main selling point of the film was its cutting-edge effects, so if you’re going to watch it, it might as well be on the big screen in all its 3D glory.

Now, there’s two ways at looking at this situation. One: 3D is a great new way to restore the sense of cinema as an experience, to take us back to the good old days when going to the movies felt special, when it was worth doing for its own sake, as opposed to just waiting for the DVD or downloading a dodgy pirate copy. Two: It’s a big con. The hype about 3D is a way of strong-arming you into paying ten or twelve quid to see something that’s really had pretty mediocre reviews in terms of plot, script, etc. The special effects are its one big selling point and, conveniently enough, they’re just not the same if you choose any of the cheaper viewing options.

I’m still torn by this dilemma, but, in the end, having a day off work and some time to kill, I went by myself to an afternoon showing of the re-released version. Having heard some truly terrible things about it from some people, I had set my expectations pretty low, and so I was actually pleasantly surprised – although, let’s be clear, that’s not exactly saying much. It certainly wasn’t painfully bad. It was just pretty standard Hollywood fare, with big battles, a fairly conventional environmental message, and a racially dubious but fairly common ‘noble savage’ trope. The script was pedestrian, but not as clunky as, say, the new Star Wars films.

My main gripe was the length – I have a very low tolerance for overlong films, even if they’re good. It just seems to show a cavalier disregard for the audience’s comfort: ‘Oh, I know other filmmakers have to stick to a reasonable length, but what I have to say is just so important.’ However, on the plus side – if you can call it that – I wasn’t too gripped to pop out for a toilet break when I needed one. There was a handy montage sequence where the hero is learning to become a Na’vi that was ideal for the purpose.

On the visual side, it delivered everything it promised, and I was pretty happy just to sit and stare at it for a while. Although there was a lot of action, it was nice to see special effects being used for something other than explosions – the world of Pandora was beautifully realised. Vast trees, floating mountains, glow-in-the-dark plants, and stunning flying sequences on the backs of dragon-like creatures all worked wonderfully well with the 3D to create a really immersive world. If only someone could match that kind of attention to detail with a truly great script and characters.

So, after finally watching this film, I’m not sure I’m any closer to resolving how I feel about the 3D revolution. I suppose it’s really no different to any other advance in special effects – it’s all very well, but you simply cannot neglect the other elements of good filmmaking. Avatar did a great job of making the most of the novelty of the technology, but, in future, I’ll probably be making my viewing selections based on something other than whether or not it’s in 3D. If a great film comes along that also happens to be available in a great 3D version – well, that will just be a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I saw Avatar was in 3D in Chinese, and I liked it well enough. The pretty visuals were nice to look at and I understood just enough of the dialogue to known what was going on while looking at the pretty things on the screen. I think I mentioned the prettiness of the whole thing. Then I saw it in 2D in English. I was pretty drunk, too, and after I realized that the rare mineral was called Unobtanium I just started swearing uncontrollably. This being China, the audience was pretty forgiving. I walked out when the scar-headed guy started spewing made-up racist epithets and I realized that during a production meeting several writers had taken the time to sit down and figure out, "Just what does racism sound like...in the future?"

    ReplyDelete